|mitered square blanket|
My mitered square blanket is finally finished. Well, the knitting is finished. The squares and the i-cord border are finished. I'm jumping for joy!
There's still the matter of the back of the blanket to deal with. In case you can't see all the loose strings....
The whole back looks like that. (Sorry it's so blurry. My editing thing didn't appreciate doing such a huge cropping job.)
So, yeah. Lots and lots and lots of loose ends to deal with. Except I'm not going to deal with them. Since many of the squares are not knit with superwash wool, meaning washing this beast could become a problem... I decided the easiest thing would be to simply cover up the loose strings with a nice piece of preshrunk fabric, which will hopefully help the blanket keep it's shape when I wash it. One day soon I'll get to the fabric shop, then one day hopefully not long after that, I'll sew the fabric to the back of the blanket and then I'll be truly done.
And if you're interested in some truly horrifying numbers...
I started the blanket sometime in early April, 2014 meaning it has taken me almost exactly five years to knit it. Not that I knit on it continuously, but it had been on the needles for five years.
The blanket ended up with 16 squares across and 24 down. Each mitered square starts with 33 stitches and measures about 2.5 inches wide. It was knit with random scraps of fingering weight wool. The final blanket measures approximately 40 x 60 inches.
Assuming I'm doing my math right, the mitered squares contain a total of 221,568 stitches.
I added a four stitch i-cord border around the edge of the blanket. There are 5440 i-icord stitches.
All total, this blanket contains 227,008 stitches. Just shy of a quarter million stitches.