I am so excited to announce that I finally blocked my Pi shawl. I'd finished it back in April and it has been sitting in a heap on the corner of my desk ever since. Naturally, I noticed after I'd put it the tub to soak that I'd never woven in the loose yarn ends. Let me tell you what a joy it was to weave wet yarn ends into wet knitted lace fabric. Yes indeedy, good times!
There she is on the blocking mats. I sure am glad I decided to photograph it being blocked. See that flat spot near the bottom left corner of the photo? I had not noticed that while pinning it out but it stood out like a sore thumb in the picture. I'm so thankful that I caught it in time to easily fix it. I'm even more thankful to be counting this Pi shawl as a FO (finished object.)
Speaking of being thankful, I sure am thankful for my blocking mats. I don't know how I ever survived without them. They were one of those things that I wanted, but when it got down to it, I always wanted additional yarn more than I wanted blocking mats. Once I finally broke down and bought a set, I quickly learned that I needed a second set in order to block most of the shawls I knit. The second set arrived in not so great shape. They had muddy boot prints on them and a bit of what looked like hardened glue. I was able to clean them up easily but I contacted the company anyway just to let them know, not to request a refund or replacement. They insisted on sending me a replacement set anyway and now I'm the proud owner of three sets of mats. Which turns out is a really good thing. Blocking that Pi shawl took all but two squares.
Now, if I could ask you for your help.... Please say a little prayer that the blocking mats hold together. The shawl is so wide that it's hanging about a foot off each side of the table. I keep getting a mental picture of what the poor thing will look like if the mats break apart & pull the shawl down on those two sides.